SimPassion

Re: FS2020 Area

#61 Post by SimPassion »

New Oceania tour :

Gilles

SimPassion

#62 Post by SimPassion »

After the Sim is loaded, take time to have a look in [OPTIONS / GENERAL / MISC / CREDITS ] <VIEW> ASOBO & MS MFS2020 Project Credits
read until the end to get an idea :-)

Gilles

jph

#63 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:41 am I was sure that we weren't the only one. I don't get why they are in such a hurry to release it. They could have waited until the winter and have had everything properly worked out.
Hi Ralph, some of that may well be to do with the imminent XBOX X release. I also think that the stability of the game is important and the early adopters are now acting as beta testers. The SDK will also need a reliable and stable sim to avoid alterations being needed otherwise they will potentially end up with another FSX. I dont see anything that actually stops an FSUIPC translator / bridge being adapted and released if people prefer to use that method of interfacing.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#64 Post by Ralph »

Very nice. Certainly no complaints about the scenery :)

My plan is to do the MacRobertson Air Race in FS2020, following an old book which was made for FS2004 I believe. It lets you follow the route from the old MacRobertson Air Race in 1934. One of the aircraft was the Dutch 'Uiver', a DC2 from KLM, it came in second. I was thinking about doing this in the Beechcraft Bonanza or the Cessna 208, because they come close to the speed and range of the DC2. But with a 2 months old baby that's probably an illusion for now :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacRobertson_Air_Race

@jph Yes, that seems to be the case with almost any game nowadays. Patch patch patch. But to be honest, we do that with Air Manager as well. You can have a couple of beta testers, but when it goes to the big audience, certain things come up which you've never seen before.

jph

#65 Post by jph »

SimPassion wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:01 pm New Oceania tour :

Gilles

unfortunately, even with professional editing and post processing - and avoiding close in shots apart from certain VERY carefully selected areas - It still looks quite 'disney' cartoonish with string puppet aircraft dangled form the sky.
VERY pretty. errr, yup, that's about it.... it is primarily aimed at xbox kiddies. I am sure it will do well until the boredom and 'ADHD' of the demographic wears off. GTA5 with marionettes ..
One can hope - but I see no evidence of anything ground-breaking. in fact - far from it. A heck of a lot of features would help the - inho - atrocious weather system in XP - but apart from visuals... ?? - ORBX blows it away- in the areas it is available of course.. ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#66 Post by Ralph »

It's nice for entertainment purposes, pretty pictures. My air race flight would be mainly looking at the landscape :)

jph

#67 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:54 pm

@jph Yes, that seems to be the case with almost any game nowadays. Patch patch patch. But to be honest, we do that with Air Manager as well. You can have a couple of beta testers, but when it goes to the big audience, certain things come up which you've never seen before.
mostly agreed Ralph. Of course, things need patching, however, there are hurried releases for deadlines, (and also to aid further beta testing to a huge base of fanboys) and then there is a release that has been tested to the best of the ability of the time and then can release patches / updates as needed. I believe this was a case of a calculated release prior to prime time as so many were gagging at the bit. they had nothing to lose from their entrenched fan-base - and it seems to have proven so. Releasing a program for release to a vast 'chowing at the bit' audience is not the same as SI releasing AM when you have, to the best of your ability done everything with due diligence to get to the stage you are at.
There is a huge corporate difference and influence. inho of course.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#68 Post by Ralph »

It is indeed a bit different. Although I get that they also find bugs as they go, for the same reason we do.

It's even worse, the book was made with FS5, from 1993. It comes with a 3.5 inch floppy disk with extra scenery.
550x733.jpg

jph

#69 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:54 pm Very nice. Certainly no complaints about the scenery :)

My plan is to do the MacRobertson Air Race in FS2020, following an old book which was made for FS2004 I believe. It lets you follow the route from the old MacRobertson Air Race in 1934. One of the aircraft was the Dutch 'Uiver', a DC2 from KLM, it came in second. I was thinking about doing this in the Beechcraft Bonanza or the Cessna 208, because they come close to the speed and range of the DC2. But with a 2 months old baby that's probably an illusion for now :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacRobertson_Air_Race

@Ralph Sounds like a fun project :D
I think I, along with my good mate Dean, can rightly claim the first 'organised' MSFS round the world tour ..
over 20 years ago... :shock: gulp - 20 years - yikes..
The first 100 legs of the route are visible on here from 'wayback machine' - https://web.archive.org/web/20010710012 ... index.php3
We first started the seeds for this is 1999 with FS98 and finally launched in the year 2000, but then along came fs2000 so we had a mixture. I must confess we came across some most amazing scenery and spectacular landscapes even then ! - 20 years ago !. The choice aircraft was the mooney bravo with long range tanks and with a custom airfile from the legendary Steve Small.
It was great fun and there were truly a lot of WOW times with scenery even then. I think the first 100 legs are there with details - there may be later legs on the more up to date pages. Shorter routes for you if you want to give it a go ? and I would imagine in fs2020 some truly excellent scenery. It's a shame its only a snapshot of certain pages of the site (I didn't dig too deep) as there were some excellent logs and images of the most amazing scenery for the day.
Joe
Last edited by jph on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#70 Post by jph »

@Ralph https://web.archive.org/web/20050206092 ... oute2.php3
Ah, finally found the second set of legs (routes) in a later version of the archive.

It was absolutely amazing in the year 2000/2002 ... now, it would be just as amazing again with any of the mainstream sims. (LONG before the iphone and any disruptive mainstream social media were invented)
For anyone who thinks the graphics in fs2000 were crappy - well, you are wrong - there were some places in the world that were simply - absolutely - amazing. and that was nearly 20 years ago. Without doing the 'buzz' then most missed out on that. It was like star trek, we went where no one - even the designers - had gone before haha . seriously, this was mostly uncharted generated scenery that was simply a product of the algorithms . some of the very best of what it had to offer was machine generated.. hey, but that is history. ;) -

I get only the same 'buzz' from xp11.5 with orbx and a balls out PC than I did with fs98/2000. (admittedly - with a balls out PC at the time :D )
Joe. CISSP, MSc.