Interesting and novel electronics / hardware thread. - Components, parts, prebuilt , anything useful

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: Ralph, russ

Mike Horsten

Re: Interesting and novel electronics / hardware thread. - Components, parts, prebuilt , anything useful

#11 Post by Mike Horsten » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:40 pm

Building a home Cessna 172SP Steam. X-plane/MFS2020
(ex Name on Airmanager forum Polarair)

jph

Re: Interesting and novel electronics / hardware thread. - Components, parts, prebuilt , anything useful

#12 Post by jph » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:23 am

Nice find Mike. :)
There seems to be a selection of cap designs available which is neat. The switches also appear to be non latching, which is also excellent as any latching is better in software. The LED can also be used for backlighting AND on indication by using PWM. Really neat unit Mike, thanks for the link. Joe
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000202 ... 5613%23493
10Pcs-Sample-Symbol-Icon-Switch-Cap-For-6-6mm-Tactile-Momentary-LED-Switch.jpg_Q90.jpg
A ring type (such as in option 3 cap above) is as here - and a good price also. There are probably a good selection of caps around. They all seem to use the same switch body.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000284 ... hweb201603_
10PCS-6X6X8-2mm-With-Led-Power-Ring-Logo-Black-Plastic-Cap-6PIN-DIP-Momentary-Tact-Button.jpg_640x640.jpg
(which are actually cheaper than buying the first link I posted above as they contain the switch as well doh.. lol ;)
“Everything in moderation, including moderation.”
“I am not young enough to know everything.”
“Experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes.”
-- Oscar Wilde --

jph

#13 Post by jph » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:01 am

On a Forum post / thread I mentioned these switches due to them being excellent quality and having the ability to be set to any number of positions between 1 and 12 very easily so thought I would add them to the 'interesting hardware list' as a few were not aware of these and their capabilities.
For those that may not be aware of them and the flexibility they add, If you ever want a rotary switch simply buy the 12 way and then set the number of positions required with the tab ring supplied with it.
A truly flexible unit. You only ever need to buy one type of rotary switch whether you need single pole 2 way up to a single pole 12 way.
They posses a lovely feel, a very positive and clean 'click' and very good detent.
The step angle of each position is 30 degrees so perfect for almost any application I can think of - on an MCP, EFIS or even a Cessna or similar Ignition switch as a 5 position unit. You can make a spring return unit on the 5th position (start) with a bit of ingenuity.

I present a commonly available and cost effective 12 Position rotary switch that can be set to any number of position from 1 to 12 by a tabbed ring that acts as a limit stop.
Check this link and please note - the price quoted in the link is FOR 5 UNITS ! - a real bargain. The switches I have shown in these images are the exact units it the link and the images taken on my bench with my phone camera.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3294718 ... hweb201603_

Again, the link above is for 5 units. !

How to use and brief description.
Images follow.

point to locators for washer.jpg

Switch pos tab washer.jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

Hope that helps someone ?
These rotary 12 pos switches are really good quality and can, as seen above, be set to physically limit the number of position between 1 and 12. Highly recommended.
If someone would like to see the internal construction I am happy to take one apart and photograph it. Just let me know. They have also been used in commercial applications for sims such as 'hispapanels' and others. The detent force can be lowered by removing one of the two sprung ball bearings inside. Lovely units and cheap as chips.

Joe
“Everything in moderation, including moderation.”
“I am not young enough to know everything.”
“Experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes.”
-- Oscar Wilde --