GTX 3xx transponder with external hardware

Upload and share cool photos and videos of Air Manager in action

Moderators: russ, Ralph

ChuckK

GTX 3xx transponder with external hardware

#1 Post by ChuckK »

After quite a bit of coding, I have my transponder working like very near the real thing. Since I did this video, the display now shows the cursor position as the code is entered. This is a good example of sending custom datarefs to AM from real hardware.

Chuck

JackZ

Re: GTX 3xx transponder with external hardware

#2 Post by JackZ »

WoW, impressive work! And I like your 3D printed bezel

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

wendy

#3 Post by wendy »

Nice work.

What screen have you used in the transponder ?

Justinnp

#4 Post by Justinnp »

Hi,

Nice!
Do you have the stl for the GTX?

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

I think it was placed on top of a normal LCD with Air Manager behind it. But he might have changed it. Maybe a real transponder by now :)

Justinnp

#6 Post by Justinnp »

This was exactly the last thing I was asking about :P
Would like a cockpit the same way as the GTX with GTN G5 etc and 2 analog gauges with servos. (Will be a cockpit which is possible with multiple aircraft.

On the display I see the comeplete GTX330?
So it is possible to remove the bezels around it and show the display only on the GTX lcd within the 3d printed bezel if I am correct?

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

You can either hide the rest of the transponder behind the hardware bezel. Or remove the bezel graphic.

ChuckK

#8 Post by ChuckK »

As Ralph said, the bezel is simply mounted in a panel in front of an LCD screen. I should have the stl files for the bezel and buttons, if anyone would like them please PM me and I will send.

One issue with doing the lcd screen for various avionics is the issue of parallax. The primary instruments are not bad since they are directly in the pilots line of sight. but the avionics being offset toward the center of the panel create the parallax problem. Given that, I have reduced my sim to only a central LCD for the primary instruments and engine gauges, while the avionic stacks are real or very near to real aircraft instruments. I've attached some pictures of the inside of the cockpit.
MALIBU PANEL 1.png
(*) - real aircraft hardware
(**) - homemade almost real aircraft hardware

malibu2.jpg
MALIBU PANEL 2.png
For reference my sim roughly replicates a MY2000 Piper Malibu Mirage. The KMA24, KT76A and S-tech55 are a bit old for a 2000 Malibu. The more appropriate avionics are all digital very difficult to interface to AM. At some point Russ Barlow is going to help me with a video tour and I'll post a full description of the setup in an effort to inspire the AM community. Until then here are some specs..

- XP 11.41 on 3 computers (one runs the simulation, Air Manager, the other two are XP slaves for the 5 external displays
- Fully enclosed cockpit with leather trim, map pockets, pilot seat
- Brunner force feedback yoke and pedals
- Piper Control Handle with trim, AP, CWS, MIC, IDENT, Spoiler switches
- Butt Kicker seat vibration system (this is awesome BTW)
- Day/Night Cockpit lighting
- Air Manager running 1 LCD screen, and 10 Arduinos with over 300 Air Manager I/O signals
- Lots and lots of custom LUA coding
- Lots of real Piper Malibu parts, mostly sourced from N113WB, which was written off after an off airport landing in heavy ice
- 4 years to build, and of course it's never quite done.

Chuck

Justinnp

#9 Post by Justinnp »

Send you a PM :)

Justinnp

#10 Post by Justinnp »

ChuckK wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:51 pm After quite a bit of coding, I have my transponder working like very near the real thing. Since I did this video, the display now shows the cursor position as the code is entered. This is a good example of sending custom datarefs to AM from real hardware.

Chuck

Did you get the transponder lcd already in the printed part?
If so will it be a arduino with lcd which shows this transponder display?
Or the buttons are going over the arduino and the transponder lcd over pc/rpi to lcd?