Easier way to modify instruments

Share and discuss your uses of Air Manager in Aviation and Pilot training... include photos or videos of your Sim set up

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Davisd100

Easier way to modify instruments

#1 Post by Davisd100 »

I am returning to real world flying after a 10 year layoff. Supplementing my actual tuition with sim flying would be great for relearning procedures, but it needs a slightly easier and quicker route to gauge modification. Many training aircraft in the nominally same model use different units with concomitant changes in dial. For example many of the earlier C150s and C152s use either knots or mph. The biggest risk in sim based sim based flight training is mislearning, so correct numbers and sight pictures are important. I know Russ developed an adjustable ASI some time ago, and it was a brilliant way of acheiving what I am talking about. I hope we will see more of the same.

Ralph

Re: Easier way to modify instruments

#2 Post by Ralph »

Instruments don't magically create themselves :) There's always some effort that has to be put into it. And since everyone thinks that their aircraft is the most populair one, it's quite impossible to have them all available. Russ made an adjustable airspeed indicator, but I'm not sure if it's able to switch between Knots and MPH...

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

The adjustable airspeed indicator or 'Airspeed adjustable' made by Russ is now online.

Davisd100

#4 Post by Davisd100 »

Understood, and I am full of admiration for those with the skill and time to create new ones ab initio. Most particularly those like Russ who make their magic look easy, which it is obviously not. Not everyone is in that category, and some like me simply want to use the product to help with Pilot Training, (the title of this section). Anyway, great news about Russ's istrument being online. Many thanks from a grateful customer!

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

We'll try to do some more custom instruments, like RPM, manifold pressure, torque, etc...

russ

#6 Post by russ »

The adjustable airspeed is indeed adjustable for Knots or MPH
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

Lamengamin

#7 Post by Lamengamin »

I too, have the same issue. The C172 I fly real world is in MPH. I'll have to take a look at the adjustable. Sounds like that would be a big help. Right now I'm using a user created dual indicator. The MPH is in a smaller window and it's a bit harr to see. I'm extremely grateful to have it, but is seems like the adjustable may be more beneficial to me. Thanks for all your work!

Mike Horsten

#8 Post by Mike Horsten »

If implemented in the default instrument, i could see an encoder with switch/button (use the button for switching between Knots and MPH)

would be a nice feature

Mike
Building a home Cessna 172SP Steam. X-plane/MFS2020
(ex Name on Airmanager forum Polarair)

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

Mike,

You can get airspeed indicators that are dual marked so that’s a possibility. Probably best to either have separate instruments or one that can adjust based on a user property. You select what you want it to be and when it’s run you get what you selected. Changing with a hardware control takes away from the realism for me.

Tony

Mike Horsten

#10 Post by Mike Horsten »

Hi Tony,
Sorry for the late reply, yes it takes it away from reality, but who would have thought that a full GlassFlightdeck in a C172 would be possible 20 years ago. :D

Anyways back to the subject, yes you are right so putting a switch in the code page would be nicer.

Mike
Building a home Cessna 172SP Steam. X-plane/MFS2020
(ex Name on Airmanager forum Polarair)