My flying desk

Share and discuss how you use Air Manager to improve your Sim experience ... include photos or videos of your Sim set up

Moderators: russ, Ralph

frumpy

My flying desk

#1 Post by frumpy »

Hi there,

I thought I could show the current setup that I'm using to maybe give some inspiration.
It's basically WIP, but already pretty useful.

I am dreaming of a homecockpit since 2 decades, but due to high expectations and
financial constraints I basically didn't start - until now.
I removed the top board of my desk and put on a few boards and fixed a second 23" monitor
to it.
I've got the Saitek pedals very cheap on ebay (looked for defective ones, with
the intention to repair it - however, they worked fine from the first day). The brake
springs broke on both pedals on the Saitek. Next step would be the MRO AW-139 pedals
from microhelis.de: Full metal, hall sensors, hydraulic damping. Until I have the required
425€, I'll keep the Saitek :)
Throttle quadrant is from a 23 year old Jeppesen FS-200 console, made by PFC. Full
metal, but I put a Teensy 2++ in to read the axis via USB.
Computer is a Ryzen 5 with an 5700XT card. Works fine with DCS and X-Plane, but
overheats on FS2020 (although 40 fps on high graphics).
The stick is mounted on the Jeppesen console, but I am looking for a curved stick
extension and maybe mount hydraulic dampers to it.
Other external hardware (switches and stuff) is planned, but I don't have a deadline on this.

Rotorsim EC-135 approaching the Unispital Innsbruck with the ORBX-scenery. Very cool and heck of a challenge!
Rotorsim EC-135 approaching the Unispital Innsbruck with the ORBX-scenery. Very cool and heck of a challenge!

Air Manager premium B58 panel with a few modifications. I'm looking for a better flightmodel, default X-Plane, Carenado and REP all have the stall warning well below Vs1 and trimming does not feel right
Air Manager premium B58 panel with a few modifications. I'm looking for a better flightmodel, default X-Plane, Carenado and REP all have the stall warning well below Vs1 and trimming does not feel right

Works with Zusi too! :D
Works with Zusi too! :D

MiGMan

Re: My flying desk

#2 Post by MiGMan »

Nice!

Maybe think about a second hand television for the main display? Because bigger is better for immersion.

I found that the Toshiba 42" (about 10 years old) is very nice on the eyes at 1360 x 768 and can be picked up in Oz for about $AUD 100.