Air Manager 4.0 beta not functioning

Make requests for others to help test your instruments before they are ready for submission to the store

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Pagouti

Re: Air Manager 4.0 beta not functioning

#11 Post by Pagouti »

Hi all!

I have changed my password, without troubles this time. In 3.7 I was able to flash my DIY Knobsters, albeit with the bootlog option. I can’t remember to have used that before. Hm. So much for my memory!

In 4.0 beta, both Knobsters function as well as always! Marvelous invention, I keep saying it.

This brings me to the cause of my misery of the last few weeks. I was about to have a look into the G1000 bezel software. If it is not too difficult, I want to make an effort to make the software usable for FS2020, that is, if nobody else, presumably with better papers, has already made a start with this. Could you please inform me if you know of any definite plans in this direction?

Regards,

Han Schouten

Keith Baxter

#12 Post by Keith Baxter »

Pagouti wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:39 pm
This brings me to the cause of my misery of the last few weeks. I was about to have a look into the G1000 bezel software. If it is not too difficult, I want to make an effort to make the software usable for FS2020, that is, if nobody else, presumably with better papers, has already made a start with this. Could you please inform me if you know of any definite plans in this direction?

Regards,

Han Schouten
Hi Hans,

That bezel is for the community and is a xplane instrument. That means that it was placed there for the community to use, abuse and modification to there hearts content. Be courteous in giving recognition to the author.

Plans my side are for a xplane MFD using that bezel. No need to reinvent the wheel. You will also be welcome to convert that as well. I have no desire to venture into the FS2020 world.

Have fun doing your adaption.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Pagouti

#13 Post by Pagouti »

Strange again. Another post that is missing. I’ll try again.

I have sorted out the activation of 3.7, now without running into problems. Flashing my DIY Knobsters succeeded, although I cannot remember to have needed the bootlog option before. I wll replay the same procedure in 4.0 to see what really happens there.

After flashing my DIY Knobsters, in 4.0, they worked as before! Marvelous invention, those Knobsters! Glad to have them back!

One final question: do you know, if there is somebody with definite plans to port G1000 bezels to FS2020? If somebody is already doing it, duplication doesn’t make sense. If not, I am considering to give it a try.

Regards,

Han Schouten

Ralph

#14 Post by Ralph »

G1000 events do not work in FS2020 so we're stuck until Microsoft fixes this.

Pagouti

#15 Post by Pagouti »

Hi Ralph,

I stumbled across a SimFlight forum post dating back to 2009 in which Pete Dowson explained that the same situation existed then with respect to FSX and P3D.

In th FS2020 forum, I have found a way to popout G1000 frames without bezels, but these are non-persistent: neither size nor position survives until a next session. That is another show stopper until Asobo fixes this.

In the meantime, I will go on using X-Plane, with pleasure!

Han Schouten

Ralph

#16 Post by Ralph »

Yep, that's another issue. You have to setup their position each time you load a flight. If the G1000 events were a thing back with FSX, and they have never made it work, then I'm not very hopeful that they'll make it work this time. As I mentioned before on this forum, it seems to be history repeating.

Pagouti

#17 Post by Pagouti »

Hi Corjan, Ralph,

As promised, I have traced back my tracks, trying to get my DIY Knobsters flashed in Air Manager 4.0 beta.
  • When I remove one Knobster under the {Home} tab, press the {Add a new device} button on the button bar, select DIY Knobster, specify the COM port and press the {Add} button at the bottom of the screen, after a (long) while the Knobster appears in the Device list. The channel is assigned automatcally;; having a Knobster {C} already, yields a new Knobster {D}.
  • When I remove one Knobster under the {Home} tab, press the {Flash} button on the button bar, select the right Arduino,, specify the COM port, specify channel {D}, tick {Flash as a Knobster}, leave {Use old bootloader (for old Arduino Nano)} unticked and press the {Flash} button at the bottom of the screen, I have to wait until ten attempts have failed. Then nothing happens
  • When I remove one Knobster under the {Home} tab, press the {Flash} button on the button bar, select the right Arduino,, specify the COM port, specify channel {D}, tick {Flash as a Knobster}, tick the {Use old bootloader (for old Arduino Nano)} and press the {Flash} button at the bottom of the screen, the Arduino appears to be flashed correctly, but after pressing the {Close} button at the bottom of the screen, no Knobster is added to the device list. Restarting Air Manager does not bring back the missing Knobster.
  • Trying to press the {Flash} button in the button bar and trying to re-create the same Knobster again with identical specifications and without first removing it, fails: "avrdude.exe: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM4": Access is denied."
  • If I load the {Blink} skettch in the Arduino with the Arduino IDE, repeating the first procedure above fails: "Searching on port 'COM4'" forever. When I repeat the third procedure, subsequently, it seems as if the Knobster is flashed, but it doesn't appear in the device list. When I repeat the first procedure, once again, {Knobste (D)} is placed in the device list and functions as it should.
  • Each time you restart Air Manager, you have to enable the Knobsters in the panel where these are active.{/list]

Several of my remarks seem to point in the direction of a bug. Oracle once has produced a marvelous one-liner: "This is not a bug, this is a feature". I hope that you will do better!

Regards,

Han Schouten