Elliptical HSI

Help and techniques for creating Air Manager Instrument Graphics

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JackZ

Re: Elliptical HSI

#21 Post by JackZ »

I have done it before, ahah!
Remember the now defunct so called « graphic library »?
But having to recreate dotted lines along an arc/ellipse is quite a job, cause you need to guess the equation of the line and the intermediate points along the way.
Would definitely complete the canvas to have inline line styles, for the ND like displays
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

flyallthings

#22 Post by flyallthings »

Aw frick! Sorry fellas. I had zero intention of coming across as rude. I guess I need to work on my forum etiquette.

I didn't think I would get such helpful responses this quickly. @JackZ , @Ralph , @Corjan , @Sling , @Keith Baxter, thank you so much for the help!! Much appreciated!

Y'all are wizards!

Corjan

#23 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Don't expect dashed lines to come into AM any time soon.
Maybe it is worth a shot once I have moved to the new graphical library. But then again, it probably won't happen.

Corjan

JackZ

#24 Post by JackZ »

@Corjan
Why such a bold statement? Is it difficult to implement?(guess so)

Dashed lines would be very useful for ND display of temporary routes/fixes and/or VOR needle for exemple.

Jacques

Keith Baxter

#25 Post by Keith Baxter »

flyallthings wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:42 pm Aw frick! Sorry fellas. I had zero intention of coming across as rude. I guess I need to work on my forum etiquette.

I didn't think I would get such helpful responses this quickly. @JackZ , @Ralph , @Corjan , @Sling , @Keith Baxter, thank you so much for the help!! Much appreciated!

Y'all are wizards!
Hi,

I get a sense of a sarcastic tone. "Y'all are wizards!" :mrgreen:

There is only one wizard on this forum. @Ralph makes thing appear/disappear and change right before yours eyes. :lol:

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Keith Baxter

#26 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:40 pm Hi,

Don't expect dashed lines to come into AM any time soon.
Maybe it is worth a shot once I have moved to the new graphical library. But then again, it probably won't happen.

Corjan
Hi Corjan,

When you eventually get to line styles...:mrgreen: perhaps a style pattern could be set.

My thinking on how it could be best implemented rather than set patterns.

my_style1= line_style_set("...abc",4) This produces ...abc...abc...abc...abc
my_style2= line_style_set(".",20) This produces ....................
my_style3= line_style_set("-") This produces ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------∞
my_style4= line_style_set(".._..",4) This produces .._...._...._...._..

You get the gist?
so the pattern is first set then the number of iterations. If the number of iterations are not set then infinity apply's.

The style could be text, images and/or Alt codes. Size,alignment etc might also be an advantage.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

JackZ

#27 Post by JackZ »

@Keith Baxter
Hmm, not sure. If you only use characters for definition of the pattern, you are somewhat limited, as you don’t specify the length of the dash itself in pixels and the length of the gap... There are literally dozens of dashed lines.
@Corjan But to be fair, il feel that 3 to 4 line patterns only would be really needed:
1- Dashed line, say 10 pixels on-10pixels gap (could be scaled)
2- Long dashed line, say 20 pixels on-10 pixels gap
3- Dotted line, say 1 dot of 1 or 2 pixels-10 pixels gap
4- Mixed line,say 10 pixels on- 10 pixels gap- 1 dot of 1 or 2 pixels-10 pixels gap-10 pixels on
That should get us covered for the most parts including map drawing, and FPLN plan depiction.
Ideally on all the canvas figures such as line, circle, ellipse and rect.

Jacques

Keith Baxter

#28 Post by Keith Baxter »

JackZ wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:12 pm @Keith Baxter
Hmm, not sure. If you only use characters for definition of the pattern, you are somewhat limited, as you don’t specify the length of the dash itself in pixels and the length of the gap... There are literally dozens of dashed lines.

Jacques
Jacques

I want to be able to do these, and any combination.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
▲▲▲▲▲▲
→→→→→→→
☼☼☼☼☼☼
==========
∩∩∩∩∩∩
××××××
∞∞∞∞∞∞
▬▬▬▬▬▬
|||||||
~~~~~~

If I wanted to draw a sine wave . I should be able to do that as well.

Jacques, what you ask for is what @Corjan is thinking with the proposed graphical library change.

I am thinking for a sooner solution more flexible solution. Having a text/image iteration function.
This is all well and good for straight lines. Using the style for _rect() _circle() and other _line_to() is most likely Corjan's challenge.

Yes the line length and spacing could also be a parameter. Good point.
We both want the same thing. Just different levels of sophistication.

Keith

JackZ

#29 Post by JackZ »

Well actually since Corjan was kinda explicitly saying that no dashed line of any type might end up in the library anytime soon (for unclear reasons to me), I was trying to lower our expectations/requirements to a bare minimum, with the secret hope that this would at least make it through a TODO list in a near future.
But I agree as we say in French, « qui peut le plus peut le moins »

Jacques

Keith Baxter

#30 Post by Keith Baxter »

JackZ wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:04 pm
But I agree as we say in French, « qui peut le plus peut le moins »

Jacques
LOL Jacques. :lol:

I think the line style library is the issue. But does it have to be a graphical element rather than a text element?

My ears picked up when text line brakes were mentioned {/n}. Something I asked for previously but probably not fully understood so not looked into at that time.
I mention this just to throw a pebble into the pond and see what thoughts the {/n} function could be used in this discussion of line_type_set()

Keith