Re: Elliptical HSI

#11 Post by jph »

nice one Ralph, thanks. :)
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

JackZ

#12 Post by JackZ »

Even though i found the initial request from the OP a bit "rude" (no hello, no thank you, and judging from his other posts, that's kind of an habit :evil: ), I decided to have a try at the "elliptical rose" challenge.
As Ralph advised, I used the geo_rotate_coordinates() function to do the heavy lifting trig computations, threw in some canvas() functions and have the pleasure to say it's alive!
I designed the text to behave like the real thing.
image.png
The compas rose is fully parametric in size and can be tied to the aircraft heading. The code itself is less than 50 lines of code, but I 'm afraid it can be heavy on the system, as lots of trig calculations are involved each time the compas rose is redrawn (every position of the tick marks and legends has to be recomputed).
There is probably some room for optimization, by pre-computing all the x,y positions in advance.
image.png
image.png
image.png
Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Ralph

#13 Post by Ralph »

No reply since his last message, indeed a bit rude. But it lead to an update to the wiki and hopefully it can be a good example for everyone else who wants to achieve the same result.

JackZ

#14 Post by JackZ »

Ralph wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:13 am No reply since his last message, indeed a bit rude. But it lead to an update to the wiki and hopefully it can be a good example for everyone else who wants to achieve the same result.
Yep, I figured that the ellipse calculation feature was added in the wiki, thanks for that indeed.
Apart from the Helionix, I had never seen such an elliptical rose in any instrument.

Ralph

#15 Post by Ralph »

I'm also not aware of any other aircraft that use this. Why is not clear to me, not enough space maybe? Or somehow gives some kind of better special awareness?

Sling

#16 Post by Sling »

Here’s another one that I remember seeing a few years back. It’s not around any more AFAIK. I don’t think this alternative HSI display really took off.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (133.37 KiB) Viewed 5099 times

JackZ

#17 Post by JackZ »

It's more than likely for real estate purposes in the Helionix case, the display is rather crammed...
These kind of multipurpose display is a nightmare to program, with its dozens of pages and reconfiguration.
Il will not go further, it was just for fun, I'm not a helo driver after all :D

I wish goodluck to the OP, the Helionix suite is a piece of work.
image.png
image.png

JackZ

#18 Post by JackZ »

Moreover, the canvas definitely lacks at the moment some additional features, namely the linestyle, so one can draw all the graphics with dotted line style for example.
I can't see a workaround to draw a dotted ellipse right now for example.
So an additional parameter to the _stroke() primitive with a line style would definitely be a plus.
Ideally the dotted style pattern should be able to be defined inline like "XXpixels_on,YY pixels_Off,XX2pixels_on,YY2 pixels_Off,etc...

@Corjan Do you have this much needed feature somewhere in your TODO list?

Thanks

Jacques

Keith Baxter

#19 Post by Keith Baxter »

JackZ wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:04 pm
So an additional parameter to the _stroke() primitive with a line style would definitely be a plus.
Ideally the dotted style pattern should be able to be defined inline like "XXpixels_on,YY pixels_Off,XX2pixels_on,YY2 pixels_Off,etc...

@Corjan Do you have this much needed feature somewhere in your TODO list?

Thanks

Jacques
Hi,

Yes I have been asking for this for about two years I think. :lol:

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#20 Post by Ralph »

If it can be done with an API then it can be done with Lua. Eventually everything is coded. It just takes some more effort ;)