background image with transparent boxes

Help and techniques for creating Air Manager Instrument Graphics

Moderators: russ, Ralph

wrschultz

Re: background image with transparent boxes

#11 Post by wrschultz »

Thanks for all the feedback. I have some homework to do on this.
1. Will review the YouTube video and see if I can put together a background image with multiple transparent cutouts. This would be a new learning experience.
2. For Keith I was in fact using the GFC500 AP that was used in the Cirrus SF50. The functionality for the AP hold did not work and the VS did not work. However, I was pointed to the GMC710 that is actually the AP in the TBM900 both HotStart and the Daher. I removed the GFC500 and replace with the GMC710 and will need to test.
3. Agree using the SI instruments is probably easier. I really like the SI software though I am trying to stay away from programming and spend time flying aircraft. I currently focus on the TS SR22/S22TN and the TBM900 aircraft sim flying. Both aircraft have RSM hardware panels at significant cost. The SI panels on my 24" touch screen monitor allows me to fly multiple aircraft and have a very functional panel and much prefer this product. I owned and flew the SR22 in the past but am on hold for real flying now. The TBM900 is just there to learn more about turboprop aircraft flying.

There are some additional instruments in the TBM900 as part of the startup that are not in the SI community instrument group. I may see if there could be an interest to build these. The TBM900 is a very accurate build of the real aircraft. WRS

Keith Baxter

#12 Post by Keith Baxter »

wrschultz wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:04 am The SI GCU478 AP system works for most buttons but not all.
Hi,

The Hot Start TBM900 uses the GCU475 and not the GCU478.
It does have it's own custom datarefs and does not use any of the xplane generic gcu478 datarefs.

It is pretty straight forward to make it work. I will do a Hot Start version and submit to the store.

Keith

EDIT:

Here is the modified version for the Hot Start TBM 900. Please test and let me know if everything works OK.

Generic - Garmin Keypad GCU 475 HotStart TBM900.siff
(94.15 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

wrschultz

#13 Post by wrschultz »

I have been able to make progress to improve the panel I am using for the HS TBM900. First of all thanks to JackZ for the video. It was immensely helpful to get me moving down the path to build a background image with transparent boxes to further my idea for the panel. I still had numerous issues to resolve that are likely apparent to all of you. The good news is that I learned a lot and can build a simple background image with transparent cutouts. Keith suggested I try the GMC710 AP system which is available in the store and is the AP used in the HS and Daher TBM900. Unfortunately there are several buttons that are not functioning. The FMS, FPL, keypad, range, com, nav and xpdr are all inop. This AP system is not viable for the TBM900. The GCU478 keyboard system does not have functioning nav and number keypad. The GCU478 AP and keypad system has the following non operating keys including: AP, FD, missing YD, VS, up/dn wheel for FLC, and ALT Sel to sync. I can talk to Keith more about this. There is a text file from HS that contains special datarefs and commands that they are using. I believe these systems work better in the "Take Command" SR22 that I am flying though I did use the GFC500 AP.

The GFC500 AP works the best but does have a few issues. The VS button is not operational. The ALT Sel wheel and HDG turning wheel will start to spin out of control if kept on for too long. The ALT Sel will spin up to 100K feet and then stop. The HDG turn knob will initiate a continuous spin of the HDG bug. Both cannot be fixed without a restart of X-Plane.

I am now using the panel with click through and a background image with a transparent cutouts for the HS TBM900 GMC710 popout system and all work fine.

I will continue to flight test this new setup and provide more feedback. WRS

Keith Baxter

#14 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

You keep saying GCU478

The HS TBM900 uses the GCU475 and has custom datarefs.

I reworked the GCU475 to work with the HS TBM900

Did you download and try it?

Two posts back.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

wrschultz

#15 Post by wrschultz »

Keith, Thanks for the heads up on the GCU475. I did not see that instrument. There are several that look very similar including the GCU478 but each is different. The GCU475 buttons all work on the TBM900 and is the same instrument in the HotStart TBM900. WRS

Keith Baxter

#16 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Glad the GCU475 works for you. If you find something that does not work like the sim version, please let me know.

I will take a look at the GMC710 over the next day or so and see what can be done to make that work with the HS TBM900

Keith

wrschultz

#17 Post by wrschultz »

Keith, I would like to put out several more instruments for the HS TBM900 for consideration. The TBM900 has an "Cockpit Overhead Panel" that is where the power up and start procedures begin. Attached is a png file of the panel for HS TBM900. I suspect that some of the switches use proprietary datarefs but maybe not. Is this something that you or some of the instrument builders would be interesting in adding. Separately there is another basic instrument for the "Ice Control System" that has toggle switches for icing control and the "Inertial Separator". I expect this is a much simpler instrument to build with only toggle switches. The HS TBM900 with the Pratt Whitney PT-6 engine is a very high quality and realistic simulator aircraft for Xplane-11. It is targeted to pair well with RealSimGear hardware at significant cost. They also make available a text file of the datarefs and commands used in the aircraft. We can discuss further as needed on Discord though I may need some guidance for this. I just use Discord for basic discussions. Bill
TBM900 Cockpit Overhead Panel.PNG
TBM900 Ice Control System.png

Keith Baxter

#18 Post by Keith Baxter »

Bill,

I have the HS TBM900 and have done some work on some of the panels. However only on the hardware side. Do you have a 3D printer?

For the overhead, I have separated into 7 separate panels.

The deice panel I will convert this afternoon. I will use the graphics extracted from the objects file for time sake. You will have to do the graphics or ask someone to do that for you.
If you would like to to the graphics and do not know how, I suggest you ask Jacques to assist. He loves graphic creation and showing peeps how to do different things in skinman.

I started a community build channel on the discord where progress can be viewed.

Keith

Keith Baxter

#19 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

The test DE ICE SYSTEM is on the discord for you.
Needs graphics but the code is all working.
ice_screenshot_20210725-130856.png
Keith

Keith Baxter

#20 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

I started this and should have the code done by tomorrow this time.

ice_screenshot_20210725-181151.png
Keith