background image with transparent boxes

Help and techniques for creating Air Manager Instrument Graphics

Moderators: russ, Ralph

wrschultz

background image with transparent boxes

#1 Post by wrschultz »

There are several background images that have been developed with transparent boxes for the G1000, GNS430 and GNS530 window to show through. I would like to add to these background images to allow some other popout clickable instruments (AP) to show through. I see there are several graphics programs that are powerful. However, I am unable to see how to uses any of the graphics apps to create a box of specific pixel size that can be made transparent to allow the popout instruments to be seen and are then clickable. Appreciate the help. WRS

JackZ

Re: background image with transparent boxes

#2 Post by JackZ »

Hi
I advise you to use Skinman, which is perfect for this purpose.
Create your background first ( say a black rectangle), then create another (can be of any color) that will be the size, position and shape of the hole you want to create on the first one and place it over the first one. This will be the mask of the hole to be created.

On the tree view list on the right, the second shape will appear below the first one.
Click on the name of the second shape, then drag it over the first one so there is a link between the first and the second, the mask should be shown as the « child » of the first one, that is with a right indent in the list.
With the second shape still selected, on the property pane on the left select the « operation mode » to be applied: use « shape- «  (shape minus) and instantly the shape of the child is removed from its parent creating a hole.

The neat thing is that you can still move/resize the mask at any time and the resulting hole will change accordingly. You can create as many holes you want, provided their mask shapes are set as « children » of the background shape.

Save your background image with its hole(s) using file/export image, using the « .png with alpha channel » format for transparency.

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Sling

#3 Post by Sling »

If just creating a simple cutout is the goal i find its actually easier to use something like photoshop or GIMP. In GIMP you simply open the image then use the rectangle or eclipse select tools to draw the shape you want to cutout. This can be fine tuned by pixel if required. If the image already has an alpha channel (transparent layer) just hit delete and save else first add an alpha channel and then hit delete and save. This clears out the selected area ready for the pop out to show through. It literally takes seconds.

wrschultz

#4 Post by wrschultz »

Thanks for the input. I am starting with a background PNG image that Russ created for the SF50 that contains transparencies for the G1000. It is not apparent how Skinman can import the png type file and retain the transparency with the parent child image structure. Will look at GIMP. Expect I may need to create a new background image and export as a png file. Does this sound right.

I am trying to create a more complete panel for the TBM900 from HotStart. In this aircraft you can pop out the G1000, the autopilot, a GCU key bad and standby attitude instrument. WRS

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

In skinman the transparent areas do not show as transparent (checkered boxes) like in other programs but rest assured if you have the white background showing when you save with alpha as a png it will make these areas transparent. To import an existing image to skinman use the button at the bottom of the toolbar that has a file/folder image on it.

Tony

JackZ

#6 Post by JackZ »

I will make a demo YT video tomorrow to show the whole process in Skinman.
Should take less than 30 seconds I guess. Granted it’s 20 seconds more than Gimp or photoshop 8-) but with the ability to fine tune the shape that will serve as a hole, since the shape is vector based. And of course, Skinman can import an image in nearly any format, by using the image tool.

Can you publish here the png background you are talking about?
But if you are using the SF50 panel as a background, I really don’t see the point to add new transparent holes, since the G1000 is the only one that needs « see through » holes?

If the Autopilot and the rest are Air Manager instruments, they don’t need a transparent hole.
If you intend to reuse existing XPlane pop ups then having a transparent background for these might yield to mixed results with click thru.

Jacques

wrschultz

#7 Post by wrschultz »

I am including the background image png file that contains transparent cutouts for the G1000 instruments that was initially created by Russ. I want to create more cutouts on this background image for the HotStart TBM900 AP/FD System on the SI panel. The TBM900 AP can be popped out and placed on another monitor much like the G1000 and I expect into an SI panel. The TBM900 AP buttons can be clicked and has full functionality for this aircraft. To do this I need to make a transparent area to place the TBM900 AP and I believe have "click through" capability which SI has to my understanding. The SI GCU478 AP system works for most buttons but not all.

I am including an image of this AP system. There is also a TBM900 keyboard for flight planning and a TBM900 standby attitude instrument that can be popped out and will have full functionality with the TBM900. That a is a separate exercise. Appreciate all the guidance and forthcoming YouTube video. WRS

TBM900 G1000 background.png
TBM900 G1000 background.png (9.68 KiB) Viewed 23318 times
AutoPilot Flight Director System.PNG

Keith Baxter

#8 Post by Keith Baxter »

wrschultz wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:04 am The SI GCU478 AP system works for most buttons but not all.
Hi,
As I am the author of the GCU478 could you please be a little more specific on what buttons do not work so that I can look at fixing them or make them work with the Hotstart TBM. I suspect that the not working buttons use custom datarefs.

There is a GMC710 in the store done by crashtender. I suspect that this too might not work due to the same custom dataref scenario.

If you pop onto the discord. I can share my screen and give you a few pointers on how to do all that you ask.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

I agree with Jacques. I don’t see the point of using the AP panel as a pop out it would be better to just make an AM instrument for this. It seems there is already something close enough that could be adapted to work with the TBM.

Tony

JackZ

#10 Post by JackZ »

As promised.

Jacques