Tips about skinman needed ...

Help and techniques for creating Air Manager Instrument Graphics

Moderators: russ, Ralph

oscarDelta77

Tips about skinman needed ...

#1 Post by oscarDelta77 »

Hi there,

I'm trying to create a cessna 182 Fuel flow gauge. I wonder if it's possible to create the green arc, and the side elipse with skinman ... i don't know how to do this ...

Thank you for your help !

Regards,
Oliver.

Ralph

Re: Tips about skinman needed ...

#2 Post by Ralph »

Have you checked my Skinman video on YouTube?

oscarDelta77

#3 Post by oscarDelta77 »

Ralph,

Do you mean this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QwiFI4 ... nt&index=4 ? Yes I've seen it many times ! For many things (hum, ok, everything !) it helped me a lot !!! :D

By the way, i've tried many things to do this ... No success ... I've tried shapes, but it's awfull (my fault !) ...

In this picture, the original gauge : The green arc and the half ellipse i would like to reproduce :

And below, what i managed to do (with Lines and Ellipse tools)... Far Far away from the original :oops: :

Thair.nl

#4 Post by Thair.nl »

You will have to create two circles. The first (and biggest) is for the outside of the green arc, the second (and smallest) is for the inside of the green arc. Now drop the smallest arc onto the biggest arc in the list on the left and then (for the smallest arc) select "shape -" in the properties window. You will now be left with a green ring. All you have to do now is to determine the start and stop angles in the properties (for both circles) to get the correct start and stop point for your arc.

Greetings,

Theo.
Boeing 737-800 simulator (under construction): http://thair.nl, Beechcraft Baron B58 simulator (also under construction): http://b58.thair.nl.

oscarDelta77

#5 Post by oscarDelta77 »

Theo,

Thank you ! As you can see below, it's a little bit better ! However, i don't konw how to handle this :

- the original gauge is non linear, and i can't see how to use the lines tool in this case.
- the green arc is created, but how to make it fit the lines ?

Regards,

Thair.nl

#6 Post by Thair.nl »

First of all you will have to use the same positions / sizes for both circles as for the lines. Now your green arc is situated lower than your lines. Now the small white lines around value 8 are within the outside of the green arc and at both ends of the green arc these stripes end on the outside of the green arc.

To create a non lineair gauge you will have to split the scale up into several parts where each part is lineair. So you wil have to create a part for "0" (only thick line), a part for "5" to "10" (both thin and thick lines) and a part for "10" to "21" (also both thin and thick lines).

You will have to figure out the angle(s) for each (group of) line(s) by measuring them with a geo triangle or something like that.

Greetings,

Theo.
Boeing 737-800 simulator (under construction): http://thair.nl, Beechcraft Baron B58 simulator (also under construction): http://b58.thair.nl.

oscarDelta77

#7 Post by oscarDelta77 »

Well, I think it's not so bas for a fisrt gauge ...

Now It's time to code ... ;)

Feel free to tell if this gauge can be improved .

Thank you, again !

russ

#8 Post by russ »

Looking good. You might add a drop shadow for the bezel to give a little more 3D look...ad die I like the screws...are they a photo or did Yo-Yo make them the in Skinman? If they are a graphic you could put a slightly smaller filled circle under them and create a drop shadow from that. It looks good as is though
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

oscarDelta77

#9 Post by oscarDelta77 »

Russ,

I've made some changes, based on your suggestions, and ... Tadaaaa :)

I've added some effects around screws and bezel.
I've added "a glass effect" too, and i think it's not so bad ...
As you can see, needles are orange, because it's easier to read and ... I like it orange ! :D

Screws are photos of mine : feel free to use if you want !

docjl

#10 Post by docjl »

oscarDelta77 wrote:I've made some changes, based on your suggestions, and ... Tadaaaa :)
Much better !
And thanks for the screw ;)
Jean-Luc