center a rotating object?

Help and techniques for creating Air Manager Instrument Graphics

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Gypsy31

center a rotating object?

#1 Post by Gypsy31 »

Trying to build an RMI and having an issue with getting the background (compass) to rotate evenly. Right now it rotates with a slight wobble. Is there way to designate the center as a rotation point or another way to get rid of the wobble?

Thanks,
Bill

russ

Re: center a rotating object?

#2 Post by russ »

Are you creating these graphics with Skinman? If so, and you still have the original file, open it and recenter the compass card. I am assuming you are using img_add_fullscreen() to place the images.

1) if the background is in a different file as the compass card then be sure it has the same size ( width and height) as the background [ Canvas-> Image properties...}
2) select the elements of the compass card one at a time. Make sure they are all square (w=h),
3) Select and right click on each element one at a time and select "Align-> vertical center" and "Align-> horizontal center"

This should line up each element so when you "Export Image"-> PNG File (^ .png) [with Alpha]" the output file should be centered.

If the center is more than a few pixels off, it will look wobbly.

let me know if this works.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

Gypsy31

#3 Post by Gypsy31 »

Russ,
The "Align Vertical Center and Horizontal Center" was exactly what I was looking for. That took care of it. Thank you!

tomlithgow

#4 Post by tomlithgow »

I've been using a combination of Photoplus and TurboCAD to create my instruments.

TurboCAD allows you to insert, position and size a bit mapped image into a layer in the drawing. From there it is a simple matter to centre the image and all of the graphic elements can be built up as different layers so they match up.

I then save as jpg files and process them through Photoplus to edit any transparent areas and export as pngs

It does seem to be one of Photoplus's quirks that saving as a jpg gives a hires image whereas saving as a PNG doesn't.

solo86

#5 Post by solo86 »

Hi Bill
I think that you have got your bezel 'spot on' in this guage. I like it.
Did you use skinman? If yes could you give me a copy of your Skinman file so I can see how you've done it?
Thanks
Peter