Getting the HD44780 to display the degree symbol

Help creating logic scripts for Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

evanssa1963

Getting the HD44780 to display the degree symbol

#1 Post by evanssa1963 »

Good Evening -

Not sure if this is the right place to pose this question but I'm writing the APU EGT value to an HD44780 LCD display using Air Manager with the Arduino. I'm able to get the temp displayed but I want to concatenate the "°C" after the temp. For some reason, the "°" symbol gives me a weird display that looks nothing like "°".

Does Air Manager support extended symbols or am I missing the secret handshake to get this thing to display the degree symbol? :D

Thanks for any help.

Scott

Sling

Re: Getting the HD44780 to display the degree symbol

#2 Post by Sling »

I can’t recall off the top of my head if the degree symbol is included in the standard list of ASCII characters and symbols that the HD44780 displays out the box. You can add custom characters though. Search the net for a list of base characters and if needed for programming examples for how to upload and use your own custom ones. I’m not sure even with this if the standard AM API function would support this. It should be doable with message port though.

Tony

evanssa1963

#3 Post by evanssa1963 »

So I managed to get this figured out without having to use custom characters or the message port. Here is the code for getting a degree symbol "°" to show up in case anyone else needs it:

hw_chr_display_set_text(APUDisplay, 1, "EGT: " ..tostring(round(EGT), 0) .. "\xDF" .. "C")

The "\xDF" is what emits the little circle degree symbol.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing the tip.