What's the convention on updating/submitting new instruments?

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JockMunro

What's the convention on updating/submitting new instruments?

#1 Post by JockMunro »

Hi,

I'm in the process of adding button matrix support to Ozuser/Simpassion's instrument "Z_2D_XP - CDU/FMC CAPT & FO - TEXT SCREEN Only for ZiboMod" so the code will work on a RPI. Works a treat. Had to go the RPI route because the Arduino Mega only takes max 8 columns and 8 rows. The old Opencockpits CDU I have ressurected has a 8 col x 11 row configuration.

Anyway. I figured I might make it available for others to perhaps do the same. So what's the proper form for working on someone else's submitted instruments? Should I approach the author first and submit my amendments for them to review or reject? Is there a guide I've missed somewhere on standards/accepted play?

Also, I notice there's no IRS display yet for the XP Zibomod. I'll be building my aft OH soon and would like to have a go at designing a display from scratch. I've only configured hardware so far with AM so I'm willing to branch into the graphics side of AM too to increase my skills and provide an IRS display. I figure there's enough examples out there so hopefully I should manage.

Should I register what I'm doing somewhere in case someone else is working on similar? We don't want to duplicate work.

I have to say Air Manager is an awesome piece of software.

Cheers

Sling

Re: What's the convention on updating/submitting new instruments?

#2 Post by Sling »

Hi Jock,

Take a look at this for instrument submission guidelines. https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewt ... f=5&t=4976

I would say this sounds a bit niche for the store being restricted to the Rpi only but it could be posted to the forum if others might want to give it a try. It’s a good idea to contact the original author for their thoughts.

JockMunro

#3 Post by JockMunro »

Thanks very much Sling. I'll have a good look at that link.

I'll give Simpassion a shout when I get finished and he can decide if he wants it or not.

Cheers

Jock

Marakai

#4 Post by Marakai »

I’m new and while this thread is already a few months old, I thought it’d be better to post in it as my question falls into the same area:

I am working expanding the existing Diamond DA-62 community instruments for FS2020, as the existing ones are for X-Plane only currently. Googling hasn’t dug up any others, so I wanted to take a stab myself.

To do the right thing, I’d like to expand on the original author’s work, but the only information I see is his name (Frans van Goor). No email, forum handle or Github ID.

How would I go about this in the best way, so as not to steal or plagiarise?

Thanks!