ADF not operating on Cessna 172 Premium panel

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

cgytm

ADF not operating on Cessna 172 Premium panel

#1 Post by cgytm »

I use (for the Cessna 172 Skyhawk (G1000) MSFS 2020) the Cessna 172 Premium panel. Everything is perfect but nothing works with the ADF receiver (Collins). The Knobster also works fine on everything including all radios except on this receiver. No way I can dial any number on the ADF.

However, everything works fine with the same panel including the ADF if I use the Cessna 150 instead (no auto pilot as there is no auto pilot on the 150).

Can you explain this and tell me what can be done to make the ADF working on the 172?
Normand Choinière, Québec, Canada, French speaking.

Sling

Re: ADF not operating on Cessna 172 Premium panel

#2 Post by Sling »

The Collins ADF unit directly tunes the active ADF frequency. The 152 has a direct tuning ADF fitted where as the 172 has a Bendix King KR 87 that uses a separate active and standby frequency. Therefore in this aircraft the Collins unit commands will likely only alter the standby frequency. When flying the 172 you should use an ADF with the active/standby feature.

Tony

cgytm

#3 Post by cgytm »

Thanks!

And where do we find that type of ADF radio that works for MSFS 2020 in the community instruments? May be I am wrong but I don't see anything? There is no Bendix King KR 87.

Other solutions?

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

I made one myself. You could modify the one for A2A in the store if you didn't want to start from scratch.

cgytm

#5 Post by cgytm »

Thanks a lot. You are doing spectacular work!

As I am a beginner with AM, creating or even modifying a radio like you are doing is beyod my capacity. I am barely at the level of building a Knobster! Which I did...

May be in a few years but not now. Too bad the Premium panel for the Cessna 172 (MSFS 2020 G1000) is not yet capable to fulfill all the basic navigation aids.

By the way the included auto pilot works but is really complicated. I replaced it wit a Bendix King which is much simpler and corresponds to what was in my own and real Cessna 172 XP. I hoped to also find a replacement for the ADF radio which is nice looking but practically useless as is. Thanks again!

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

The ADF changed in FS2020, there's no more way to control the active frequency it seems. Which means I will have to design a new instrument for this.
If that's on the to-do list anyway, which brand and type would people prefer? The 'standard' KR87 or maybe a different one?

Keith Baxter

#7 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:06 am If that's on the to-do list anyway, which brand and type would people prefer? The 'standard' KR87 or maybe a different one?
All of them. :lol:

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

Surprisingly there aren't that many. I could actually only find the KR87 and some older prehistoric units. I suppose most brands, like Garmin, don't want to invest in this technique. Which is understandable with ADF stations already being removed.

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

Becker do a nice one that fits in a circular instrument hole. I made this a while back for an earlier version of my Tecnam panels.

As far as the active frequency is concerned FS2020 allows one to use the same events depending on how they have programmed the aircraft. The C152 for instance works fine using standard events where the C172 those same events operate the standby frequency only. There is a way to change both and flip flop between then like with the real KR87. I have it implemented so it’s doable.

Tony

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

Sounds like the KR87 is the best choice.