Displays for small gauges

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JackZ

Re: Displays for small gauges

#11 Post by JackZ »

I don’t even know what your Discord is, as I tend to avoid this system, too messy for me. Getting too old for this s... I guess.
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

jph

#12 Post by jph »

Good morning Chaps,

I think the biggest issue for anything on Arduino is not only the ability to drive the displays - even in parallel mode as things like the pico / DUE /ESP32 etc are pretty rapid. It is simply that there are not really any suitable SIZE displays around for something like an RMI (even a standby) or any standard size gauge apart from - perhaps - the 1.25" gauges. Even then, I think it is pi$$ing in the wind as far as update frequency is concerned - or, lack of .... :o - even for the smallest displays.
I think perhaps, Keith you should consider, not only an old laptop (unless it was really cheap !!! - and had a secondary gpu to allow dual output - which most do not. They only allow a repeat of the main display - or 'dual display' - but with the same output graphics, not two different displays.
I have 3 or 4 Lenovo desktops that were 'retired' from commercial use and sold at crazy low prices. for example - below 100 dollars. Perfectly good machines with industry standard connectors etc. All with Gen 3 Intel I processors, ram and HDD. All you usually need is a cheapo old Nvidia GPU added and you get 4 outputs. You can get an old gpu such as a gtx 5 series or 6 series for peanuts.. not sure of the prices at your end though. The worst case is that you 'may' have to change the PSU as they tend to come with a 180 to 200W. Even then it should only cost around 30 dollars for a PSU, and the old standard one can usually be sold for 2/3rds of the price. Most times the PSU's are so good that you can just leave them.
such as - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313455523681 ... SwefBgTzZ1
You can get a suitable gpu for peanuts - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313533493630 ... SwipRglsBA - 3 outputs plus you can use the onboard display as well. NOTE - Ignore the TYPE of output connector on the early GPUs. the passive converter cables are dirt cheap - a DVI to HDMI for example -https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192947971576 ... SwzulgoNsZ . Don't let anyone con you into thinking you need certain types of cable for the most basic stuff.. anything will do. It is a digital signal. No signal degradation, it either works or it doesn't. The cheap cable for DVI to HDMI are, errrr ;) , cheap - and work perfectly.

The only case of some active converters is from Displayport to HDMI (such as on my 2080ti to HDMI input monitors).

I have 3 lenovo thinkcentre 72 desktops bought for around 50 dollars each ! - amazing machines (even as bog standard !) - but for our use they need a triple capable GPU. . the gpus, I already had - a couple of GTX 970s and also I still have a couple of GTX660 units.
The price of the older triple head GPUs are simply crazy low at the moment. I means, less than 20 dollars !.
That is the way I chose to go. You can get a cosha win 10 license for a dollar or 2. (MS don't give a crap as they want everyone on it)
So the whole PC with quad monitor capable output that can run at least full HD on each output at a minimum of 30FPS.. perfect.. and only 1 airplayer license needed.
Joe.

edit - added - When talking about retired commercial desktop PCs. I quote LENOVO as they are the ONLY ones that I know off that do NOT use custom parts, they are totally standard !... also, do not buy the SFF (Small form factor units) of any make - including Lenovo. You will not get a graphics card to fit due to reduced height. However, ANY Lenovo desktop (normal size) PC - as per the type I linked to will be perfect..
Completely ignore DELL, or COMPAQ etc as they tend to use proprietary fittings. IF anyone needs images of a Lenovo 72 type internals, just let me know. They are totally standard.
Last edited by jph on Wed May 19, 2021 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#13 Post by jph »

JackZ wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:12 am I don’t even know what your Discord is, as I tend to avoid this system, too messy for me. Getting too old for this s... I guess.
It's like Concorde - but grounded.... :D :lol:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.