Transponder KFC 76C on Airfoil Labs C172

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

AnthonySullivan

Transponder KFC 76C on Airfoil Labs C172

#1 Post by AnthonySullivan »

After nine months of trying to build my own instruments, I am having some success but one issue can stump me. Individual plane builders use their own datarefs in addition to the standard ones in X-Plane. This means that an instrument that works on one plane may not work on another if the builder is using its own datarefs. This does not matter if you can locate their data refs and modify your code to use them. However in many cases the builders do not let you alter the values in their datarefs. This means that you can read the values in X-plane and show them on your instrument but you cannot change them in Air Manager. An example is the transponder (KFC 76C) which I got working on the Mooney Ovation M20 by Alabeo but then I tried it on the Airfoil Lab C172 where it did not work properly. So I start hunting through the special datarefs added by the builder for that plane and I find the ones that respond. The example is for pressing the keys 0 to 7 for setting the four figure transponder code. The problem is that the plane will not allow you to change values even though the dataref is listed as writeable. I understand that their is a complexity as the transponder accepts the first four digits and then for the fifth digit it clears the screen and starts again on a new code. Since I cannot find any datarefs (X-Plane or the buildier's) that allow me to change the values for building the transponder code, then I have to be satisfied with my instrument showing the values in X-Plane but not being able to change them.
I wonder if other people have found a solution to this difficulty.
regards
Anthony Sullivan

Sling

Re: Transponder KFC 76C on Airfoil Labs C172

#2 Post by Sling »

Are there no commands for the buttons? If not then you may be stuck.

I've seen this with Carenado/Thranda stuff before and its really poor on their part. I think what they do is write the data every sim frame so even though you do a write it almost immediately gets trounced by their code. You can try to force write the dataref and sometimes this will work but often it will just cause a fight over the dataref. There is no need for them to do it this way so perhaps you should drop the dev a line and ask why. Perhaps they would be willing to change it.

AnthonySullivan

#3 Post by AnthonySullivan »

Hello Sling, thanks for your reply. Yes it appears that their code is correcting any changes I try to make; on the Datarefs tool when you enter a change it accepts for a split second then puts it back as it was.
Yes I search for commands as well to see if that is a way round it but no luck there.
I would have thought with Air Manager being so popular that the developers would have wanted to make sure their planes were compatible.
I will endeavor to make contact with them and see what they say.
best wishes
Anthony

Keith Baxter

#4 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi Anthony,

Just in case you did not find these.
This is from the Carenado Beechcraft Bonanza A36 and the commands change the transponder value in this airframe.
ice_screenshot_20210420-112752.png

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Keith Baxter

#5 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

I am right in the middle of the center consoles for the SR20 and SR22 and that involves transponders.

I knocked up this quick and dirty test for the buttons. You are welcome to try it and see if it works on your AirFrame. If so then we can develop further and start writing to the modes so that the rotary switch works as expected.

Question. Your C172. Does it have the G1000? If so then there might be another solution using the gcu478 commands if your Airframe does not work on the test instrument. But firs establish if this one works.

Generic - KT 76C Transponder.siff
(205.67 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Keith Baxter

#6 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

OK forget the code I sent above. It will not work on the AirfoilLabs C172. I will do one for generic AirFrames

However By the end of the day I will have a complete working KT76C TSO for the AirfoilLabs C172.

Keith

Keith Baxter

#7 Post by Keith Baxter »

@AnthonySullivan

Your instrument for the AirfoilLabs C172 is almost done. Everything working. Just some aesthetics to sort out and the button images.

I have not searched for the slanting digital font but should you or anyone have that off hand would save me some time.

I will do a generic and both will make their way to the store.
ice_screenshot_20210421-214619.png
ice_screenshot_20210421-215553.png
ice_screenshot_20210421-215621.png
Keith

Keith Baxter

Re: Transponder KT76C on Airfoil Labs C172

#8 Post by Keith Baxter »

Keith

AnthonySullivan

#9 Post by AnthonySullivan »

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for all your kind help and advice

best wishes
Anthony

Keith Baxter

#10 Post by Keith Baxter »

AnthonySullivan wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:52 am Hi Keith,

Many thanks for all your kind help and advice

best wishes
Anthony
Pleasure Anthony,

If you need assistance with some of the other instruments I will try and help.
I am assembling my 737 MIP ATM but do not mind to jump of at a tangent from time to time as the AFL C172 is a bird I have.

Keith