Garmin G5 P3D and no bezel power up

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: Garmin G5 P3D and no bezel power up

#11 Post by Ralph »

Feel free to stop by. We're in Amersfoort now, but we'll move to Soesterberg around June / July.
If you visit us in Amersfoort then be prepared for a huge pile of components, wires, Arduino's, tools, (junk) etc ;)

navymustang

#12 Post by navymustang »

3.jpg
4.jpg

Ralph

#13 Post by Ralph »

Nice! What type of helicopter does this resemble?

navymustang

#14 Post by navymustang »

The primary weapons instrumentation and control systems are from an actual Navy SH-2F Sea Sprite I purchased from the Navy several years ago. The glass cockpit derivation is a concept from the Navy (SH-2H) and my own creations.

Unfortunately the FSX/P3D add-on SeaSprite helicopter was very poorly modeled, so I am using the CeraSim UH-60 rotor and engine model, highly modified with custom code to behave somewhat like a twin turbine helicopter.

So sad that no developer has taken the time to truly model a twin turbine helicopter and then exposed the LVars so that we could interface to it. AN example of how bad the UH-60 is: when you move the controls that adjust ground idle to flight idle RPM, the RPM gauge just follows the levers, they didn't even try to model spool up or spool down time for the turbines. So I don't even attach the models Lvars to my gauges, I have a fake model that drives the Air Manager panel to make it look realistic, even though it isn't a true engine model. Weapons modeling is from code libraries from the P3D SDK.

But I also understand cost and the shortcuts you take to deliver a consumer product at the fidelity needed to sell and make profit.

Ralph

#15 Post by Ralph »

Isn't it easier to go over to X-Plane? Lots of good helicopters there.