Bendix KN62A, KR 87 and KX155

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jasong

Re: Bendix KN62A, KR 87 and KX155

#41 Post by jasong »

So close to finishing the KN62A, I've just hit a snag with the slider for the RMT, FREQ & GS selector switch. I put it here https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewt ... 012#p34012

I didn't realise some switches don't have a common. So when I figure this out I'll make a user selection for the hard ware choice for selecting the switch type you have.

After this I'll upload it here if anyone can try it, that would be great then I'll submit it and the KX155.
Progress on the KR 87 is about 40%. Still to code the hardware, some textures and button logic for the BFO and frequency.

dfly

#42 Post by dfly »

Hi,

If of any interest, I have added a Transponder module.

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 07&t=71594

rgds

jph

#43 Post by jph »

jasong wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:23 am So close to finishing the KN62A, I've just hit a snag with the slider for the RMT, FREQ & GS selector switch. I put it here https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewt ... 012#p34012

I didn't realise some switches don't have a common. So when I figure this out I'll make a user selection for the hard ware choice for selecting the switch type you have.

After this I'll upload it here if anyone can try it, that would be great then I'll submit it and the KX155.
Progress on the KR 87 is about 40%. Still to code the hardware, some textures and button logic for the BFO and frequency.
Hi Jason.
I posted a solution for your switch issue on the thread you linked to. Did you use that ? - you never replied.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jasong

#44 Post by jasong »

Hi Joe sorry for not getting back to you sooner I haven’t had time to check it out yet, I like the theory and think it will work. Thank you for taking the time to post a solution.
I’ve also sent you a PM.

jph

#45 Post by jph »

Hi @jasong
No worries, I will reply to the PM shortly.
I am REALLY interested in your printing method for the front panel.
What exactly are you printing on ? what kind of paper - white background - clear acetate etc ?
Obviously, it is not possible to print white, so, I am presuming you are printing on white > ?
Years ago I tried to print black on acetate - and - black on a white background.
The biggest issue was the lack of a 'complete' black - usually - with either laser, or inkjet, it was slightly streaked.
On acetate, it was also translucent and needed several layers of acetate overlaid to make a non translucent panel.
Would be really interested in your methods as the results look really good. How did you get, what appears to be, a solid black ?
Joe. ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#46 Post by jph »

jasong wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:57 am Hi Joe sorry for not getting back to you sooner I haven’t had time to check it out yet, I like the theory and think it will work. Thank you for taking the time to post a solution.
I’ve also sent you a PM.
Hi Jason. The theory is sound, it WILL work. ;)
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jasong

#47 Post by jasong »

Hi @jph,

Finally getting some time to get back in the AM,

To answer your question for the printing method I'm going to try a couple of methods, 1st, I'll use a laser cutter on black cardboard/stiff paper and see how it goes. I have already coded the LED's to flash when on the correct setting.

I'll get some photos up when done.

Also I tried the code logic you provided and it worked! Thanks, my switch is a little loose though probably from years of use.

Attached
are some early implementations of these units.
KN62 and KR87.siff
(863.48 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

jph

#48 Post by jph »

Hi Jason,
That sounds great. Glad the logic and wiring for that specific switch helped, that is really good to hear.
I have a cnc router that I am planning to use for front panels - the ' cut out and then paint the final colour over clear / white acrylic, then engrave the lettering'
But it is a case of - when I get around to it... I am 64 this year :shock: - so need to 'get around to it' pretty soon :lol: ;)
What laser do you have ? I was looking at getting one but am not yet convinced of the quality of the output - on affordable laser cutters.. my friend back i the UK has one of the Chinese 40W units and although great for larger scale stuff is very poor quality in fine detail. He admits it could be him and the setup :) .. but I don't know.
What do you have and what results have you achieved ?.

One thing I have found really good is the red acetate sheets - often used for folder covers etc. They make excellent filters for the 7 seg LED units so that you only see the displayed segments.
I need to find a local supply as my last sheet was lost in the house move.
Thanks for the files also, will have a good look and add them to my repository of learning.
All the stuff I want and intend to make is based on 'steam' gauges - IE.:, no 'Garmin' G1000 etc, just nice plain normal gauges. Even for heavies, I would want a 737-200 - preferably, or the 300 + model with the minimal glass.
I personally think things like the G1000 based cockpits have gone a bit too far in the sim world as you can end up not knowing which aircraft you are flying. :) .
Like radio stacks, what you are doing is exactly what I want - the bendix king type stack, not some ultra modern unit. It all adds to the ambience.
You are really lucky to have obtained the stuff you have. Amazing.
This stuff can be so expensive and you have to grab them when you can. I have some genuine hardware - but mainly my throttle quadrant from a cessna 310 and also the trim assembly. It is really annoying that in 2004 I had a virtually full set of left and centre panels for the 737-200 with ALL instruments (the real ones), but had to end up virtually giving them away as we needed to get rid of almost all material things to go and live on our boat for 10 years. Now we are back 'ashore' in a real house. :D , then I am kicking myself as I should have put them in storage instead. I also had real Cessna pedals and a pair or Piper Yokes. Most of the stuff I bought in the state around 1990 to 2002. We used to go on holiday and whilst my bride sat in the sun I would tour aircraft breakers. :mrgreen: :lol:
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jasong

#49 Post by jasong »

G'day,

I did look at those CNC's and they look good but need a degree of setup, trial and error to get working right. I was hoping I could use one of those to make pcb's but I admit I'm pretty lost on what's required, what works best.

Regarding the cutter I'll use, I don't know the brand of the laser cutter or how it works and I've never see it operate nor it's finished products... :mrgreen: But it weights a ton and requires an extractor unit, so it's got to be good right :D
I'm going to try late next week I'll report back how it goes.

Those sheets sound like a good idea, I'll look into them.

I agree I'm going steam as much as I can at the moment.
Good luck with my coding, it's really messy at the moment, I'm just kind of rushing to make my units functional while providing some use for others along the way. When I've got my units all done I'll fix up my code and credit original authors, if I've modded their works, then I'll submit them to the store with the PA panel.

I've still got to wire up the adf, code/wireup a bendix weather radar and audio unit, also a piper autopilot. All the units were a little pricy but no more then other stuff that's out there. It's just the time to learn and program which is part of the fun and satisfaction. When I finish I'll still come out in front and hopefully have originals. The AM store will benefit too with more units.

Oh dear I won't say too much on your last paragraph.... :( however that sound's like a great Idea of a holiday.

jasong

#50 Post by jasong »

Here's a look at the RDS 82,
Unfortunately using custom weather preset in xplane just puts rain across the whole tile when I had it set to live it showed cells but I forgot to take a screenshot.
weather.jpg