Aerosoft Twotter Extended engine instruments

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

den4

Aerosoft Twotter Extended engine instruments

#1 Post by den4 »

I am looking to build an instrument panel on a 2nd pc for this aircraft and I'm struggling to do so with the program I currently use (Panel Builder). I cannot get the engine instruments to reflect what is shown in the VC at all.
I have been discussing this with Mark on the Aerosoft forum and he suggests I come here.
Will AM support the instruments of the Twotter extended? And how easy would it be to set up?

If there had been a trial version of AM I would have downloaded it to try, but as there isn't that is why I am asking here.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards

Den

shadyowl2

Re: Aerosoft Twotter Extended engine instruments

#2 Post by shadyowl2 »

I used Panel builder for my a2a aircraft and had to find the custom lvars for a lot of the instruments because they do not use standard coding from fsx. Air manager blows Panel builder out of the water, Customer support here is superb and Air Manager will use lvars. My experience says that aerosoft is using there own coding outside of fsx. DId Aerosoft mention if they use custom lvars? You could use LINDA to trace what you need to code the gauges. I am not going to say it's easy but it can be done IF you can find how there gauges are coded.
OORAH!!!! Its a Marine Thing....USMC retired

den4

#3 Post by den4 »

I have listed the Lvars using FSUIPC, but don't really have any idea how to use them to get the instruments working.
LINDA doesn't want to play with me. I've tried it several times but it will not recognise my BU0836 board, and constantly gives me "Out of Range" errors.
Does AM read these Lvars direct then or does it then mean having to do something else with them to get the ifo into the gauges? That is what I am being told on the PB forum, which defeats the object of buying the program in the first place if I have to write my own coding to do the job. (which I do not know how to do either!)
If AM can do the job then I am quite happy to buy it, but I've already been bitten once buying PB and finding it doesn't seem to do the job. I don't want to be in that situation again, as I'm sure you will appreciate.
Regards

Den

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Air Manager can read LVar's through our own plugin, so no FSUIPC or Linda is required, but... yes, you will need to do the instrument coding yourself, and we do not have hardware support at the moment.

den4

#5 Post by den4 »

Ralph wrote:Air Manager can read LVar's through our own plugin, so no FSUIPC or Linda is required, but... yes, you will need to do the instrument coding yourself, and we do not have hardware support at the moment.
Hardware support isn't a problem, all I need is to produce a MIP where the instruments read the same as the VC ones. The engine ones are the problem, i'm sure the others will be satisfactory anyway.
All hardware is already taken care off Already.
What exactly will this coding involve? In words of one syllable please so a layman can understand it! :)
Regards

Den

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

Do you have an image of the MIP setup you're looking for?

den4

#7 Post by den4 »

Hi Ralph
The panel in question is the engine instruments, I have attached a screenie of it.
It is the 4 main ones I am concerned about-Torque pressure, temp, Prop rpm%, and Gas Generator%. The other engine ones I am sure will be straightforward, as will the other instruments. It isn't so much the look of them but the fact that they need to reflect accurately what the VC instruments are showing. For instance the torque , If I set it to max 50% I and then pull the prop control back a bit the torque goes up in the VC but not in the external instrument.
This may be something Aerosoft have coded in, I have no way of knowing, but I need to have this reflected in my simpit MIP.

Den
Attachments
Twotter engine panel.jpg
Regards

Den

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

Doesn't look that difficult. Do you have the list with LVar's?

den4

#9 Post by den4 »

Yes, here is the link. It was too big to paste here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7n8rvqnhxnvt8 ... s.txt?dl=0

Den
Regards

Den

russ

#10 Post by russ »

I was working on a complete two monitor twin otter set for the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended for FSX/P3D. They also work with the RW Designs Twin Otter for X-Plane(my sim of choice).

I have the primary instruments done using the standard FSX variables but need to modify it since the LVars support is now available. The graphics are done but the flight director didn't behave right using the standard variables. Here's some the basic flight instruments for the main panel(click images for full size):
TwinOtterPanel.PNG
I also laid out a basic setup for two monitors to handle all the key instruments. First a 1920 X 1080 landscape set up for for the Main Panel for use on a touchscreen monitor:
FRONT_PANEL.png
I also planned a second 1280 X 960 portrait mode to handle the engine instruments:
ENGINE_PANEL.png
I tried to use most of the main instruments needed.

Is your posted list the full LVars list for Twin Otter Extended?

I'd be happy to collaborate on the project.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist