YouTube tutorials poll

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

YouTube tutorials poll

#1 Post by Ralph »

I noticed today that we have 613 subscribers to our YouTube channel, quite a lot. So I thought we should do more with YouTube.

What would you like to see?
Maybe scripting tutorials, and if so, what do you think should be explained? What's the most common issue?

Hardware tutorials? Or maybe something completely different.

Anything, just let us know. Thank you in advance.

Link to our channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCLeY2 ... EBCJH04-OA

Keith Baxter

Re: YouTube tutorials poll

#2 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:25 pm I noticed today that we have 613 subscribers to our YouTube channel, quite a lot. So I thought we should do more with YouTube.

What would you like to see?
Maybe scripting tutorials, and if so, what do you think should be explained? What's the most common issue?

Hardware tutorials? Or maybe something completely different.

Anything, just let us know. Thank you in advance.

Link to our channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCLeY2 ... EBCJH04-OA
Ok I will start. :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1) How to make menus. select by... push button, encode/pan, keyboard input.
2) How to search resource in folders.
3) How inter-instrument communication works.
4) How message port works.
5) nav_data examples.
6) user properties examples.
7) Canvas and draw functions.
8) What does persistence do.
9) Working with text, fonts, colors, format changes, scrolling, opacity...
10) Expanding fences (boxes) for text.

Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

Thank you. Once we have a couple of request, we'll see which ones are the most requested.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

Ralph,

I've been thinking about this too. I came to the conclusion that there are a multitude of different skill and experience levels when it comes to the world of AM and just simmers in general so I think what's needed is something like this.

Tutorial on the use of AM and AP in all their different flavours. Show how to operate all the features and demonstrate what all the settings do, panel scaling, transparency multiple panels, sizing etc Adding and removing instruments, re-ordering instruments, import and export features. I probably forgot some things but you get the idea.

Step by Step coding examples for each and every feature of each and every API function. I know that's a lot of video but each video could be for one API group such as subscribes, text, images, canvas, hardware etc etc. I know Corjan already made some for these but they are probably out of date now. I would be happy to help with this if it's needed as it's something that's been asked for a few times and I feel would really help demystify the coding for some.

Project videos. I was thinking about doing one or two of these in like a series showing the process of developing an instrument. A bit like a video diary/tutorial. Picking the right instrument will be the key.

One off videos aimed mainly at advanced features or specific topics such as the coding a non linear gauge example.

Just some ideas and as I said I'm happy to contribute.

Tony
Last edited by Sling on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corjan

#5 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Redoing the screen casts for every API topic is still somewhere at the back of my head. But also something I never found time to do.
It would be great if you would be willing to create these video's! I feel you have a very relaxing/calm voice that works ways better in explaining this stuff then my weird Dutch accent :)

We feel we should do something in return though, Ralph will mail you about this.

Corjan

jedeen

#6 Post by jedeen »

My 2 cents,

As Keith already stated, I vote for his number 6 and 8.
About 1,5 year ago I did not know anything about Lua or SimInnovations or AM.....now I am addicted to it ;)
What I remember from the past......I had some serious trouble with understanding the " x, y = geo_rotate_coordinates(degrees, radius) "
For a noob/novice the explanation in the Wiki is not enough, maybe some more in depth explanation would help with more samples.
This also applies to several other things in the Wiki, as a novice....you read it and afterwards have more questions then answers.

Then there was a certain moment that I made the route in a stand alone ND with curved lines, so I needed to learn the use of arc's.
Yes, thanks with the help of al those people here in this thread I managed it, but the first principles I had to learn myself.
So this would mean a more in depth video about canvas functions, it would be highly appreciated.
For instance, when you draw a line, then the end of that line is also the beginning of the next line or the beginning of a new arc.
Nothing of that is found in the Wiki or elsewhere and for a novice that knowledge is essential.

No offense, like I said.....my 2 cents
Have fun
Derk

brodhaq

#7 Post by brodhaq »

Tetris!
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

Corjan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:07 am Hi,

Redoing the screen casts for every API topic is still somewhere at the back of my head. But also something I never found time to do.
It would be great if you would be willing to create these video's! I feel you have a very relaxing/calm voice that works ways better in explaining this stuff then my weird Dutch accent :)

We feel we should do something in return though, Ralph will mail you about this.

Corjan
LOL. Thanks Corjan. I like regional accent's personally but I'm happy to help.

Tony

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

jedeen wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:24 am My 2 cents,

As Keith already stated, I vote for his number 6 and 8.
About 1,5 year ago I did not know anything about Lua or SimInnovations or AM.....now I am addicted to it ;)
What I remember from the past......I had some serious trouble with understanding the " x, y = geo_rotate_coordinates(degrees, radius) "
For a noob/novice the explanation in the Wiki is not enough, maybe some more in depth explanation would help with more samples.
This also applies to several other things in the Wiki, as a novice....you read it and afterwards have more questions then answers.

Then there was a certain moment that I made the route in a stand alone ND with curved lines, so I needed to learn the use of arc's.
Yes, thanks with the help of al those people here in this thread I managed it, but the first principles I had to learn myself.
So this would mean a more in depth video about canvas functions, it would be highly appreciated.
For instance, when you draw a line, then the end of that line is also the beginning of the next line or the beginning of a new arc.
Nothing of that is found in the Wiki or elsewhere and for a novice that knowledge is essential.

No offense, like I said.....my 2 cents
Have fun
Derk
Derk,

I suppose we don't have to follow the wiki API order exactly for these videos as long as we get all the functions covered. If user properties and persistence are needed maybe we should do these first. Is there anything about either of these that needs particular explanation from your perspective.

The canvas stuff can get quite involved so perhaps an initial tutorial showing the basic drawing concepts for each of the functions and then perhaps later some more specific stuff such as the example you gave.

Tony

jedeen

#10 Post by jedeen »

Tony:
I suppose we don't have to follow the wiki API order exactly for these videos as long as we get all the functions covered.
Not at all, the "simple things" can all be put in one video.....and the more complicated ones e.g. "running text" can be done in one video.
The order in which those video's are made is of no importance

In general, I wanted to say, that the Wiki could be more extensive about several objects.
For instance, there could be an example of how to make a dashed or dotted line at the subject _line_to or more explanation ......
at the subject group_obj_add(group_id, gui_id, ...)
In the given example for that group_obj_add, only images are added, why not in the same example add some text (txt_id = txt_add(text,style, x,y,width,height)
Me as a novice, thought the first time....hey objects are only images.........no no no ......there are also text objects, but the novice does not know that.
And a novice reeds very very very often those subjects in the Wiki in order to master those things explained there.

So in short, imho...not only video's are necessary but a better explanation of those "commands" for AM in the Wiki is also needed.

Have fun
Derk