Avidyne PFD

Help with Air Manager iPad version

Moderators: russ, Ralph

NeilM67

Avidyne PFD

#1 Post by NeilM67 »

Hello everyone. I am new to Air Manager, but not to aviation. I am running x-plane 11.35 on a windows computer. I have various Saitek peripherals and a Real Sim GNS530 with Reality XP GNS530 displayed on it as a popout.

I got a little excited when I saw this product. I am a private pilot and fly an Archer III with an Avidyne PFD and MFD. I have Air Manager on my iPad and the attitude indicator portion of the PFD works perfectly except for the Glidslope and Horizontal indicator during ILS Approaches. Unfortunately, I cant seem to get the HSI portion to work. The compass and heading bug work, but it doesn't seem to interface with my navigation radios. Interestingly enough, the Collins HSI works. Is the Avidyne display not fully functional? The bugs on the right side work, but the blue buttons on the left read "Nav 1" and don't seem to be selectable. Also of interest is that the heading bug works on the Collins HSI, as does the course selection needle. However, the DME and GS seem to be tied to Nav 2 instead of Nav 1. The OBS is tied to Nav 1.

Any information and help is greatly appreciated. I am getting ready for my instrument check ride, so will be spending a lot of time on the sim in the next few weeks.

Neil

Sling

Re: Avidyne PFD

#2 Post by Sling »

I can’t promise anything but i’ll take a look in a few hours.

Sling

#3 Post by Sling »

My immediate thought was the Rxp GNS might be using datarefs that are not default xplane. Do you have a list of the datarefs for that product you could post?

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

The RXP has a setting I believe, where you can tell it to follow X-Plane or do its own thing.

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

Just tested the Avidyne with an ILS and all seems to be working as expected. Nav source was the xplane 530.

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

Here it is working. Localiser and Glideslope both active.

Avidyne.png

Sling

#7 Post by Sling »

The Rxp unit outputs the deviations to

"RXP/radios/indicators/hsi_hdef_dots"
"RXP/radios/indicators/hsi_vdef_dots"

But as Ralph said there should be a setting to make the Reality XP unit take over the xplane default datarefs. I'm looking now.

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

OK I found them. These are the settings but there are lots more settings also that you should check. If still having issues try testing with the default xplane GNS.

Connect GPS to HSI - Select if the device overrides the HSI instrument (HSI datarefs)
See Gauge Options to select pilot or copilot side.

Connect GPS to VOR# indicator - Select if the device overrides the aircraft VOR indicator (NAV datarefs).
See Gauge Options to select VOR1 or VOR2.

NeilM67

#9 Post by NeilM67 »

Thank you all for looking into this for me. I do have the “Connect GPS to HSI” and the Connect GPS to VOR” selected.

@Sling,
I noticed that your panel display is different than mine. My center icon is a W with horizontal lines like winglets coming off the top ends and I don’t have the power scale on the left side. Are you using AM on an IPad or computer? I remember seeing a panel for the Cirrus SR20 and a separate one for the Cirrus SR22. In my AM for version 3.6, there is only the SR22 version. If I remember write, the SR20 version looked more like what you show. Could this be my problem? Like I mentioned before, other HSI gauges seem to work.

NeilM67

#10 Post by NeilM67 »

@Sling, I just went back to the website. Your display does look like the SR20 display. It doesn’t look like that display is available in the IPad version, Only the SR22 version which is incomplete. It looks like this is going to be a bust for me until the IPad version is updated or something.

Neil