Any plans to allow uploading gauges to iPad?

Help with Air Manager iPad version

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Psionmark

Re: Any plans to allow uploading gauges to iPad?

#11 Post by Psionmark »

Ralph wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:05 pm Both methods are a bit dodgy. We need a more solid and official way of doing this.
In what way is it dodgy?

Here's the link to the official Apple documentation on implementing iCloud into apps - https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... ction.html - it doesn't get any more official than Apple's own development library documentation. If it's in there, it's official. These are the very guidelines they insist on people using and if you implemented it and they queried it, you could simply refer them back to their own documentation.

As mentioned on that page, you can use "iCloud document storage for user-visible file-based information such as word-processing documents, drawings, and complex app state.". As you can see, this has been specifically designed to do exactly what it is we're requesting.

This is no more "dodgy" than using the C: drive on a Windows machine for document storage.

Corjan

#12 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Note that instruments contain lua code, which kinda is a separate beast in apple's eyes.
As far as I know you can only submit code into the app store if it goes though apple's review process.

We have to goal to be multi platform, we would like to also support Android in the future for instance. For that reason we don't wanne lock ourselves into platform specific features like iCloud.

I still have to contact apple about this issue (been meaning to for quite a while now...) to see what exactly is possible, and what isn't. We will get into this once AM 3.0 has been released.

Corjan

Psionmark

#13 Post by Psionmark »

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

I can't honestly see it being an issue. It's just a file, after all. The expenses app I use uses it's own proprietary data format for the data file and they use iCloud as the data store. Apple won't care what the file format is, or what you do with it, so long as the app itself adheres to their (admittedly strict) guidelines. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they only allowed certain file types.

Give me a shout if you need any help. I'm a dev (.Net, iOS, Android) and am happy to help out.

Regards,

Mark

Corjan

#14 Post by Corjan »

You might be right. I know they used to have a problem with apps downloading 'executable' files, including scripts like lua.

They are probably worries it will download a script that might do something they don't agree with or something.

I'll contact them when the time comes, hopefully they are more relaxt now on the issue.

Thanks for your offer to help though!

Corjan

JackZ

#15 Post by JackZ »

A probably dumb question:
Can't the app simply access the gauge files located on the user's hard drive via ITunes syncing, pretty much like any IOS app using documents (such as Documents to go, or any PDF reader) is reading/writing a document on the user's computer?

If the extra panels are merely simple files or zip packages downloadable from the net, then stored on the user's PC/MAC and transferred afterwards via ITunes sync, is it still a problem?

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

mrlucmorin

#16 Post by mrlucmorin »

Hi,

I'm new around here, so forgive me if this has already been addressed somewhere else.

I'm considering purchasing the iPad version of Air Manager, and I came across this thread where a possible Dropbox integration is discussed. I may be wrong, but my understanding is that custom panels are still not supported on iPad.

Has this been implemented yet? Is there any possibility of having custom panels for the current iPad version?

Thank you.

Sling

#17 Post by Sling »

You can only make use of the panel included in the App. The restriction on this is Apple related. Although I think this may of softened recently so perhaps in a future update we might see the additional instrument upload capability included.

Corjan can give the exact answer for the future plans.

Corjan

#18 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Just like Tony said. We would like to port Air Player to iPad. But because of apple being apple, that is not allowed (unless you make a development environment on the iPad, which we don't want).

Corjan