Any plans to allow uploading gauges to iPad?

Help with Air Manager iPad version

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Gaurhoth

Any plans to allow uploading gauges to iPad?

#1 Post by Gaurhoth »

Just picked up Air Manager for iPad a few days ago, and I really like the concept. I'm wondering if the roadmap includes any plans to allow users to directly upload gauges/panels to the iPad ... using something like iTunes File Sharing feature. It'd be great to be able to create gauges and upload them directly without having to wait for an update.

Gaurhoth

Ralph

Re: Any plans to allow uploading gauges to iPad?

#2 Post by Ralph »

We hope it's possible, but generally Apple isn't fond of filesharing. We're going to investigate it later on, to see what's possible. But I can't make any promesses, Apple is pretty strict...

spankybus

#3 Post by spankybus »

How do gauges currently get into the iPAd app? Is it you just hardwire gauges into the app when you publish and that is it? I noticed some nice gauges on the desktop app and wanted to push them to iPAd, but i guess that doesn't work?

Corjan

#4 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Pushing instruments from the desktop to the iPad would be a great addition.

Although technically possible, it is probably not something apple is to keep on. From what I have heard, they really want to protect the 'app store' and not let developers create their own interpretation of a store.
Having said this, I never actually asked them :) We can ask two questions to apple every year, it comes with the developer account. I will create a question tomorrow and see how they would feel about us implementing this feature.

All the included instruments are now simply part of the app. That is the reason it is more than 100 Mb in size.

I'll keep you posted,

Corjan

Corjan

#5 Post by Corjan »

Just sent the question to apple. I'm quite curious how they will react :)

spankybus

#6 Post by spankybus »

Woohoo, looking forward to what they say.

spankybus

#7 Post by spankybus »

Idea: I've used plenty of apps that allow usage of Dropbox for file access. Scrivener, for example, lets you share your work between the desktop app and their new iOS app this way. Something to consider, letting people who own both versions of AM to 'save' gauges in Dropbox via the desktop app and letting the iOS version open them.

docjl

#8 Post by docjl »

spankybus wrote:Idea: ...... Something to consider, letting people who own both versions of AM to 'save' gauges in Dropbox via the desktop app and letting the iOS version open them.
OK to try to save in Dropbox, but how to use them on an iPad ? Nothing offers this possibility to chose where to load a gauge...
Jean-Luc

Psionmark

#9 Post by Psionmark »

As spankybus (!) mentioned, could you not use Dropbox, or, as I mentioned elsewhere, Apple's own iCloud storage? Apple has no problem at all with developers using iCloud for their storage needs. In many respects, that's what it was invented for.

I've got many apps that read/write to/from iCloud storage. With iOS 11 and the new "Finder" type app, this is even more of a signal that they're happy for us developers to use what they're providing for us.

For example, I often use Scanbot for scanning documents. It automatically writes its data to my iCloud account, from where I can access it on any other device connected to iCloud. The reverse is also true, i.e. I can drop a file into iCloud on my Mac and it's then accessible from my iOS devices.

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

Both methods are a bit dodgy. We need a more solid and official way of doing this.