Precise layout management

Help with Air Manager iPad version

Moderators: russ, Ralph

liquidate

Precise layout management

#1 Post by liquidate »

I'd like to use the iOS version of Airmanager with two different iPads, but the only thing holding me back is my OCD :)

I'm using the Windows desktop version now, primarily because I have precise layout controls for left, top, width and height (preserving aspect ratio). On the iPad (and I assume the newly released Android versions), I can only pinch to zoom and drag for position. There's some sort of snapping going on, but getting two instruments set to the exact same height and in position has been frustrating. Any chance this will be improved in a future version?

What would be very cool would be the ability to export the panel (and instruments) into a package that could then be uploaded to the iOS device via iTunes.

Sling

Re: Precise layout management

#2 Post by Sling »

Yep, That's a feature that quite a few would like but Apple don't allow that apparently. Corjan or Ralph can give more details as to why this is so. With the current situation I'm considering a windows tablet or Raspberry Pi and monitor. I'm not sure about the recently released Android version's future capability to allow panel uploads but I'd like it on that platform if it were possible.

For me the long and short of it is I want to be able to upload my own panels/instruments and will need a solution that can achieve this.

Tony

JackZ

#3 Post by JackZ »

Mmmmm...
Maybe a workaround would be to allow the upload of a "setup/position file" via Itunes/Android App, as a simple textfile document?
And a small utility on Windows/MAc to preset/change the panel positions and create this file, for those who don't own the AM Desktop version?
Many apps on The Ipad allow transfers of files from Itunes, I'm not familiar with the Android situation though.

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Corjan

#4 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

We will give the iPad version a big overhaul in the coming months, but I don't think it will get precise controls.
Note that we see the tablet versions as like a cheap entry version of Air Manager. That is also the reason you cannot edit/create instruments on it.

We are thinking of releasing an Air Player application for Android though.
That way you can push instruments from Air Manager Desktop to your Android tablet, and have the precise controls.

We are not allowed to execute downloaded code on the iOS platform. So something like Air Player for iOS is not possible I'm afraid.

Corjan

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

Air player for Android certainly sounds interesting.

brodhaq

#6 Post by brodhaq »

Corjan wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:42 am We are thinking of releasing an Air Player application for Android though.
That way you can push instruments from Air Manager Desktop to your Android tablet, and have the precise controls.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do this! I am buying the licence (+ some gentle Android tablet) the first second you release it! I so much want to do my own instructor station for my sim, with failures and options which are very specific to the L410 simulated aircraft, so there is no point in uploading the instrument to your online-store, as it would be useless for anybody else who does not have the actual physical sim of this very type.

Until now I was thinking about building my own "tablet" with a Raspberry Pi + some 10" HDMI touchscreen display from ebay and 3d printed case, but it would be big, heavy and ugly. Something like Google Pixel C would do the job much much better :P :P :P :P :P

Pavel
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

Hello Pavel

it's already available for Android on the Store

Regards
Gilles

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

Gilles,

I'm pretty sure he means an Airplayer App for Android or at least the capability to upload your own instruments. The current limitation of these tablet versions is you can only use them with the included instruments.

Once that changes I think a lot of us would be interested.

Tony

SimPassion

#9 Post by SimPassion »

Hello Tony

I really thought that we could upload our own instruments to the Store (via Ralph processing)
and made them available to Tablets,
is it not the case ?

Regards
Gilles

Sling

#10 Post by Sling »

Gilles,

Yes it can happen that way. However you need to wait for it to make it into the Store and then wait for a new version of the tablet App. Pavel did not want to have to go through this process. With an Airplayer App you would be able to push any instrument in AM to the tablet. An App like Airplayer is not allowed by Apple but it seems it may be allowed on Android by Google.

Let’s hope so.

Tony